WEBB \\ WHO WE ARE
WEBB Production is a creative event production agency handling large scale events that range from 300 to 30,000 attendees throughout the United States and occasionally outside the US. Together, with our clients, we conceptualize, design, produce, build, staff, operate and manage all aspects of an event.
At WEBB, we have a vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people can thrive and do their best work. WEBB recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We value diversity and encourage all people of underrepresented groups to apply.
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR \\ THE POSITION
We are looking for a proactive, highly knowledgeable, hands-on, experienced individual to fill a Technical Director position to lead and oversee the production and operation of all client projects. In addition, you will act as the liaison between our account management team and shop & warehouse teams.
\\ ABOUT YOU
Our most successful TD’s have the following strengths –
- Positive Attitude – As TD, you set the tone for the show among the crew. Your positive attitude should be infectious.
- Solution Driven Mindset – You don’t see problems, you see challenges and enjoy finding creative solutions. You enjoy thinking about ways to improve the process not just address situations as they arise. We deliver huge shows. You must be comfortable with changing situations and find satisfaction in creating extraordinary experiences for clients.
- Proactive Approach – You own the success of your project. Rather than waiting for information to roll your way, you hunt it down and take the reins on moving the project forward.
- Leadership Ability – You will need to lead by example through hands-on work as well as know-how and when to delegate to be most effective. You will need to earn the respect of a crew through your attitude, professionalism, and leadership.
- Organization – As TD, you must have a passion for details and the ability to balance hundreds of action items without losing the big picture.
- Technical Knowledge and/or Event Experience – As TD, you may be called upon to deal with a wide range of technical issues. You would benefit from a working knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures of indoor/outdoor events and music productions, interactive consumer technologies, as well as presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; stage carpentry; appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
\\ THE WORK
You’re the web (see what we did there) that pulls it all together. Every event starts with the client. Our producer and the creative team turn the client themes and goals into designs and concepts. From there, you become the project lead to make it happen by connecting department heads, event staff, labor department, warehouse and fabrication teams.
Each show and project varies by nature, but typically you’ll be doing a combination of the following –
- Operating, maintaining and safeguarding the technical assets of the company/client, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Budgeting for specific build aspects of each project to be included in the overall project budget.
- Keeping project deadlines on track before the event and monitoring timelines at the event.
- Determining the necessary technical support for each project (such as lighting, sound, staging, digital/interactive and special needs) required for the successful execution of events.
- Designing, setting up, maintaining and operating lighting, sound systems, video, interactive and social media for all productions and projects. (You will be assisted by specialists in these areas but you must have a general comfort around these items and will become an expert over time.)
- Advising production managers, lighting and sound designers on the technical specifications, costs, and usage of technical equipment required for the production, and supervise the implementations of approved technical designs.
- Supervising and assisting with set and stage construction and management. Managing crews at the event and monitoring levels of staffing to cost-effectively produce the event.
- Assisting in training and assignment of video/interactive and technical staff for individual events.
- Safety management of the event.
- Assisting with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintaining inventory and ordering specialized supplies. (eg. 12 shovels for a beach party in Los Angeles)
- Attending technical/production meetings
\\ THE REQUIREMENTS
- 3-4 years of direct experience and examples of your work
- Strengths described in the “about you” section above
- Working knowledge of lighting, sound and video design as well as the ability to execute lighting and sound design.
- Drafting and Design abilities including but not limited to: plans/elevations and construction docs, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of Vectorworks strongly preferred.
- Bonus points for: CAD, In Design, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Bonus points for: Experience in a client-facing role with executives and senior-level professionals.
- Will work out of Salt Lake City office on a daily basis; must be willing and able to travel for productions on the road.
\\ THE PERKS
Why you’ll love working at WEBB – We do great things. We create. We execute. We love our work and are passionate about events and technology. We work together as a team to pull off the extraordinary.
We also offer:
- Competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision, 401k with match, HSA)
- Disability insurance and life insurance
- Employee kitchen with subsidized meals
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid holidays
*Qualified individuals should include their resumes, a brief cover letter, and salary requirements when applying.